Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cold Press Coffee, Sarah's Way








I fell in love with cold press about five years ago when eating gluten was no longer an option for me. It was overwhelming trying to figure out what was safe to eat and drink so I went back to the very basics. I gave up blended coffee drinks that summer and found cold press. I tried it with cream, with chocolate, with skim milk, and with vanilla. I began to order it with skim milk and half a shot of chocolate. It got me through. Last year I started making my own cold press. Something I loved so much and it was oh so simple to make! A little bit of coffee, some cold water, a working fridge, 12 or so hours and there you go!

This year my oldest daughter moved back home after graduating from college. It's been a great summer so far and we have been trying to out foodie each other as much as possible. I bragged that I could make her a far better cold press than the stuff she was paying a fortune for. Since that moment we've been stocked. What I didn't realize was how many ways we could switch it up! We've tried different sweeteners, milks, milk substitutes, fresh herbs... last weekend Sarah made me her new favorite and I have to agree, it's darned good! 

Cold Press

1 1/2 cup ground coffee 
Almost a gallon of filtered water
A refrigerator 
Patience

You can use any container. I bought two gallons of water, the jugs work perfect.  I can brew in one and we can drink what's already done out of the other. Just mix the coffee and water together. Put it in your fridge. Wait. A. Long. Time. 12-18 hours. That's why you need a brew jug and a drinking jug... see?! Sarah didn't have coffee this morning because I didn't brew fast enough. Pour it through a fine, finer than you think you'll need or it will be gritty, sieve. If you don't have one you can go buy one, or use cheesecloth. Or, do what I do and just stick a coffee filter in your not fine enough sieve. Whatever you do, don't make this difficult! 

You may wonder about what kind of coffee to use.  I can't answer that. Coffee is a personal thing. I like a rich, full roast. The mister likes a lighter roast. Some people like grocery store coffee, others make a special trip to the coffee shop for their fresh roasted beans.  Just don't be afraid to try new things, you never know what you might be missing out on! 

Sarah's Cold Press

Tall glass of cubed ice
Cold press coffee
Almond Milk
Agave Syrup
Two roughed up mint leaves

Fill your glass up with ice, then fill it about 3/4 full of cold press.  Finish off with almond milk, a drizzle of agave syrup and the mint leaves you twisted a bit so their flavor pops out.  Add a neon straw and sip away.

Here's where I've been doing my sipping.  It's one of those places where I can be with my family and laugh and talk and be together.  It's also where I can sit with friends and talk about the past, the present, and the future.  But even more important than either of those things, it's where I can be by myself. I can listen to my heart. Or sometimes I listen for all the different types of bird songs. Other times I listen to the wind, often hearing it rustle through the trees before I can even feel it. I've been gloriously happy here on this deck. I've cried tears of pain so intense I wasn't sure they would ever stop.  I have reflected on my past, prayed for my future, and enjoyed my right now. 






Enjoy the rest of the week! Take that moment for yourself, listen. There's a lot to hear.

xoxo
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment